Tuesday 16 January 2024

Jennell Jaquays: Gone Too Soon

Last week brought the sad news of the passing of Jennell Jaquays. My two most recent campaigns featured adaptations of her adventures. The Band of Bronze took many forays into Nathrak, aka the Caverns of Thracia, which I did a more detailed review/user's guide of in KNOCK! #3. And in 2023 the explorers of Skraeland started their career by raiding "Borshak's Lair," introducing them to the ancient history of that peninsula and uncovering the conspiracy of the Iron Race.

 I had a bit of contact with her on Facebook, showed a few snaps of my runs. I hope the Goodman Games Thracia re-issue and the Central Casting book get issued eventually. Probably the old-school legend I had the most contact with (which is not saying much), her spirit lives on in those amazing adventures -- at first, amazing deathtraps crafted with architectural cunning and layered with a veneer of plausibility; later on, bold and convoluted map designs doused in Bronze Age research. 

Maybe I'll pay tribute this year, if my players make it to high enough level and halfway across the map (for I know exactly where it sits in my game world, and it may have been a further challenge if the Band of Iron had endured back in 2014), by running them through her legendary Dark Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment