Monday 18 March 2013

The 52 Pages Master Plan

Why 52 Pages?

I don't know. It's a magic number (cards in a pack, weeks in the year, 4 x 13) that sounded about right for a set of game rules. Like the 18 point font, it's a discipline to keep the rules simple and presentable.

Why not a real RPG name, like "Alliteration & Aardvarks" or "Sword Wands of the Blood Vagrants"?

I don't know. Maybe it's to draw attention to the presentation, rather than the rules themselves, which are a hodgepodge of D&D editions, retroclone innovations, and a few originals. My main point is that nobody needs another complete fantasy heartbreaker, but by presenting it as looseleaf pages, people may feel free to pick and use the parts they like.

Anyway, here is the "index page" that shows, in red, the completed parts of the work. As you can see, I'm about 11 pages out from finishing, with some wiggle room if I make the character sheet one page with everything on the front - which I am currently using in most of my games.


The bad news is that an updated download will have to wait till later this week, as I continue to attempt to recover things from a crashed hard drive.

6 comments:

  1. I love everything you have done so far, I am really excited to see all 52 pages together. What about One Page Dogs and Horses? I thought that would count as your "Animals" page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the dogs and horses too, but need to see if there is room. The Animals are more monster-type statblocks.

      Delete
  2. Am really looking forward to this, I don't read your blog as much as I should and it'll be great to have it all together for me to pick through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I am really looking forward to the completed book. Everything you've produced so far has been top notch, I can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this still being developed? Or has it been completed yet?

    ReplyDelete