Saturday 28 April 2012

Final OPD Entry


Well, here is my final entry to this year's One Page Dungeon contest. I really want to thank all the commenters on the previous post who gave me useful tips to make it look and work a lot better.

More than just an entry, this represents an encounter system for wilderness adventures that goes somewhat beyond the traditional hexcrawl. In my pro copy of Hexographer I've been custom-installing all the special silhouette icons as I go along. It might be useful to release a copy of the customization file with all the silhouettes in it, but I'll have to work around some issues with the pathname references first, and make sure it includes a wider selection of Telecanter's and my silhouettes.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! Good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it could be a traffic sign in europe. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty innovative, and beautifully put together. I think I would still like numbers connecting the map to the encounters though, in addition to the silhouettes. Right now, one has to potentially do a linear walk down the encounter list when looking up the contents of a hex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding! Well done! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the OPD contest - I think your hexcrawl system is one of the most interesting systems I've seen. I particularly like the way it can take the relatively static encounters, and depending upon the roll make them seem more 'alive' in the context of the crawl. I will be working this in to my game as soon as the opportunity arises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brendan: This is why I've tried to make the location of the icons on the key roughly correspond to where they are on the map. But yeah, a row/column reference system might make it work more smoothly.

    @Everyone: Thanks for your good wishes! It's clear to me that although more complicated, one advantage of this over the standard hexcrawl is greater revisit value for a single area. I've tried to have the multiple missions play off this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff. That lair range idea is brilliant - one of those things that you see and immediately wonder why you didn't think of it.

    ReplyDelete